[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] IPR Memo

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Aug 11 07:05:25 UTC 2015

On 11 August 2015 at 09:29, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe we need to remind ourselves about the basic fact that the IETF
> defined the number identifier (IP and AS) and also the names identifier.
> How then can we expect the creator not to allow access to the TM for use by
> its creation.
>
> Seem to me we may be looking for something more than just access to the
> TM. If there is really a part of this transition that the doesn't need any
> politicizing, I think the TM should such item. Come to think of it, IETF
> even uses the TM far more than the other 2 operational communities, so they
> seem to even have more stake in this.

Thank you Seun,

That has been my thinking all alone. Nearly all identifiers and protocols
enjoyed by the names and numbering community originated from IETF.
Including the IANA name, domains, Internet Protocol addresses, e.t.c. On
the other hand, the business community was able to monetize the said
identifiers. I don't see why there should a mistrust on the IETF
whatsoever. Actually, if IETF decided to change the said identifiers and
rename all their use of the IPRs to something else, they would do it. And
the names and numbers may need to follow through for compatibility purposes
in-case new innovations come through. And new innovations is actually the
domain of the IETF.

My views alone.

Regards

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson