[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 22:46:24 UTC 2015

I just had a stunning sense of *déjà vu*.  Leading to a sense of clarity.

An entity external to ICANN, taking over the IANA brand and identity,
leaving ICANN as a mere licensee, entering into a contract with ICANN where
that external entity exercises oversight and control over IANA services
(including the ability to find ICANN in default of that contract and
ultimately the ability to enter into a contract with someone other than
ICANN for those services).

We had a name for that entity in our first draft proposal.  Contract Co.

So, it appears that we have found our Contract Co. and its name is the IETF
Trust.

I guess we were right the first time, and we were ahead of our time (even
though it appeared the CWG was lagging behind).

I suppose that this is actually a reasonable outcome (after all, it seemed
reasonable to me 6 months ago).  We just need to make sure that we resolve
the concerns we had about Contract Co. the first time around (as well as
the concerns we have specifically identified this time around with regard
to the IETF Trust specifically).

Congratulations to the supporters of Contract Co.  Our time has come again!

I will toast this with some Fresh Direct spring water.  I'm sure they don't
actually bottle it.  But it's got their brand on it, so as far as I'm
concerned it's from Fresh Direct and I trust their quality.  So, bottom's
up!

Cheers,

Greg