[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 13 23:14:31 UTC 2015

Although highly unlikely and perhaps preventable by contractual
terms, the IETF Trust at some point in the future could stop ICANN
and PTI from using the IANA TM and the iana.org domain name. That is
NOT equivalent to stopping ICANN from being the Steward of the IANA
Names Function (even if we have to rename it the Mork&Mindy (*) Names
Function). The name does not make the function.

Alan

(*) Mork & Minday was the name of a Television program starting Robin
Williams, about 35 years ago - very good show. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mork_%26_Mindy.