[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Fri Aug 14 21:42:07 UTC 2015

Thank you Jonathan.

I wanted to highlight one item from Jonathan’s e-mail:

> In summary, it seems that we (the CWG) need to separate our prospective contribution to implementation from any comment we may wish to make now – effectively to the ICG proposal. For now, we need to focus our attention on the ICG document and the urgent requirement is to consider whether or not the ICG proposal is consistent with the responses received and, if not, what comment we wish to submit. Moreover, to be mindful that any such comment must not require any of the three RFP responses to be referred back to the relevant responding community if we are to retain the current overarching timetable. Put simply, what can usefully be done now and what can usefully be done later during the implementation phase.

I fully agree with this. And while the timeline is of course a big reason behind this, it is also important that we do not lose sight of the big picture and argue over details rather than bigger principles. Big projects tend to be staged, and we clearly have an implementation step ahead of us. Some of our work belongs there.

More concretely, I think it might actually be a reasonable way forward to agree to the CRISP requirement, i.e., that domain/trademarks be held by an independent entity rather than the IANA operator. Who that independent entity might be and what specific agreements are needed can in my mind be a part of the implementation phase. (And I think we should all recognise that whatever arrangement gets setup in the implementation phase has to be governed by a set of agreements were the responsibilities and rights are laid out. But I don’t think we need to write that agreement today.)

For what it is worth, I personally am comfortable with the CRISP requirement and could live with several different arrangements of that requirement.

Jari