[CWG-Stewardship] Update on IANA IPR

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:29:57 UTC 2015

Milton,

On the quality control point, it's not possible to limit (or essentially,
eliminate) quality control to the extent you state, but it is possible to
constrain it significantly. In this case I would suggest we explore a
combination of (a) minimizing the quality control obligations as much as
legally possible, (b) involving the OCs in quality control (e.g., by
delegating certain quality control responsibilities to the OCs), and (c)
constraining the licensor's ability to call a default and seek to terminate
the license.  The quality control "issue" would have been an issue with
ICANN licensing the mark to third parties post-separation, as well.  It may
also be an issue now (albeit to a lesser extent) in the proposed license
between ICANN and PTI.

On your last point, after further thought, I tend to agree.  "Doing
something to" the IETF Trust is probably an overly aggressive way to phrase
things.  I've been thinking of a range of options, some of which would
involve little or no change to the IETF Trust itself (and some of which do,
or don't involve the IETF Trust at all).  But I think it makes sense to
understand the range of options and then we can make decisions about these
options.  More to follow.

Greg