[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA- An Update on the IANA Transition

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Aug 23 03:03:52 UTC 2015

The proposal pointed to by the NTIA Blog entry
(and by Milton's piece) is an implementation of
the recommendation of the CWG and DT-F. But
carried to an extreme. It allows the transition
to occur  with no code changes and virtually no
changes in procedure other than those which will
be well tested prior to the transition.

I think that the temporary cloning of the entire
RZMS is a rather extreme measure to avoid making
coding or operational changes at the moment of
transition, but it *IS* following the sound
engineering practice of minimizing concurrent
changes, and specifically ones that cannot be
fully tested prior to the moment of transition.
If it had been me, I would have developed the
revised code and used the cloned system to test THAT....

As far as I can tell, this proposal has nothing
to do with the relationship of the NTIA and
Verisign and their cooperative agreement (other
than altering the mechanics of what is done under the agreement).

Alan