[CWG-Stewardship] CWG Position on IANA IPR

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:18:19 UTC 2015

We did not come to consensus on a particular rationale.  To the extent we
discussed one, we spent most of the time discussing separability concerns,
i.e., that ICANN would not relinquish use and/or ownership of the
trademarks and domain names in the event one or more operational
communities chose a different IANA operator.  We spent little if any time
on the stated rationale.  As such, it is inappropriate for this group to
adopt this rationale.

It's also important to note that we are expressing non-objection with the
requirement.  We do not need to express agreement with all or any part of
the Numbering community's rationale, nor have we come to consensus to do so.

This is consistent with the protocol parameter community's "non-objection"
stance as well.

If we want to discuss the substance of this rationale and the other
rationale offered by the Numbers community, we can do so, and I'll make my
opinions known.  But I don't think it is necessary for us to respond to the
ICG, and there's no need for us to do more than necessary.

As for "freelancing" -- that is hardly my suggestion.  Perhaps you don't
recognize it, but that is a pejorative characterization.  I was agreeing
with you, so I am baffled by now being accused of "freelancing."  I can
only assume it was unintentional.

Greg