[CWG-Stewardship] CWG Position on IANA IPR

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Aug 26 20:32:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think it is certain that you have strong rationale.  But as far as
being in the rough (nice to see IETF usage come into ICANN) it may be
you that is in the rough.

By and large I think a lot of us are accepting that because of the way
the Numbers and Protocol Operational Communities see ICANN as the IFO,
while Names sees the PTI as the IFO with ICANN in the Stewarsdhip role,
going towards a Trust makes sense as a compromise.

I also think that characterizing it as we are tending toward the IETF
Trust becasue no one offered another solution is also slightly off the
mark.  People have suggested a new trust, but on the possibility that an
existing trust might be able to satisfy the requirents Names might have,
we are holding off on trying to design that new trust.

If we provide a rationale, that is what I would suggest we say.

avri