[CWG-Stewardship] CWG - Draft Report for Singapore

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:58:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com> wrote:

>  To be consistent with our charter, if we talk about the RZM, I think we
> should do so in the context of replacing NTIA’s accountability with regard
> to the RZM.  The drawback is that there doesn’t seem to be much we can say
> without more input from NTIA, nor does it seem possible for community
> members to be able to provide much constructive input until that input is
> received.  Maybe we should say something like this: “The CWG charter task
> of providing a replacement for NTIA’s accountability role with regard to
> the RZM function is one that will need to be considered once more direction
> is given by NTIA.”

I agree with the suggested edit; based on the faq[1] released by NTIA it
does seem there is going to be another process that will handle the RZM,
which makes it quite unclear whether that is also a task of the CWG (not
even at ICG level). I quote the relevant section below:

*Q. What impact does this announcement have on the cooperative agreement
> with Verisign?*
>
> A. Aspects of the IANA functions contract are inextricably intertwined
> with the VeriSign cooperative agreement (i.e., authoritative root zone file
> management), which would require that *NTIA coordinate a related and
> parallel transition* in these responsibilities.

One may need to clarify from the ICG how it intends to handle the RZM in
relation to their scope of work.

Regards
1.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/other-publication/2014/iana-functions-and-related-root-zone-management-transition-questions-and-answ