[CWG-Stewardship] CWG - DRAFT discussion document for Singapore V3.5

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Feb 3 21:36:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

I thought it was a obvious question, but several people did not think
so, and seemed to condemn the asking.  Hence I have tried to explain why
I thought it important.  Seemed the least I could do.

I think needing to know is not limited to any particular model.

If we can't get a real figure we might be able to calculate something
close using some standard reasoning:

Full IANA employe salary budget * ICANN average burden multiplier
(including all overhead costs, including senior management costs,
administrative costs,  travel, benefits, office space, insurance etc)

Companies geneally have this so they know the costs of adding each new
employee - it isn't just salary.  Often this runs 100 - 200% of salary.

Then if we figure out the FTE (full time equivalent) assigned to each of
the ICG designated separable operational functions we would have a
reasonable back of the envelop figure for the costs per operational
community.  While it would be good to someday have the exact figures,
such a calculation would at least give us general understanding.

Having once, briefly, been the CEO of a startup, I know this is not high
finance and should be trivial for someone that has all the numbers to
crunch.

As for the RIR contribution to ICANN, if we assume their approx 1
million contribution is 1% of the total ICANN income (not counting new
gTLD windfall and assuming a 100MUSD income), then we have an idea that
their contribution to IANA is that same 1% since they are not
specifically allocated funds.

Sorry to be so pointed on this, especially since I have never gotten
involved in the financial issues at ICANN before.  But it is a critical
piece of the puzzle and I think we need all of the pieces.

avri