[CWG-Stewardship] Update on the Integrated model.

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Feb 20 21:50:59 UTC 2015

First, I react to Chuck’s questions, then I pose some of my own.

Thanks Avri.  Forgive me if this was already discussed by I haven’t been able to keep up on this very well.

·        Has this approach been vetted with the protocol and numbers communities?

MM: I am not sure I understand this question. No proposal discussed by CWG has been vetted and under the procedures set up by ICG no proposal from any operational community is required to be “vetted” by another operational community. It is the ICG’s job to worry about the consistency and compatibility of the proposals coming from the three operational communities.

·        What does it mean that “ICANN establishes SLAs/MoU with Post Transition IANA”?  Why would ICANN be involved in this?

MM: My understanding of the proposal is that “ICANN” in this proposal means “ICANN the DNS policy maker” and thus ICANN would establish an SLA/MoU or contract with the separated IANA just as the protocols people do and the RIRs propose to do.

·        Without in any way criticizing the proposed approach, isn’t the new IANA board a new architectural feature?

MM: Yes, but this is an improvement directly related to accountability. Besides, no proposal we have entertained lacks new architectural features.

·        Has any thought been put into the source of funding?

MM: Good question

·        Who would have MOUs with the Post Transition IANA?

MM: Maybe I don’t understand this question but names (ICANN), numbers (the 5 RIRs), and protocols (IEETF).

·        In the ICANN subsidiary, shared services and free-standing diagrams, why is ICANN shown as one of three elements of the Post Transition IANA Board?

MM: My understanding is that ICANN is then on the same status as IETF and RIRs and thus shares responsibility for the IANA board.

My question:

Does this model provide for separability?