[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN Board as "regulator" (was: A liaison from the Board to CWG)

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 17:27:22 UTC 2015

If you look at the Charters for the two WGs, you will see that there is an
accountability piece for this WG and an (admittedly much broader)
accountability piece for the other WG.  This is not the "non-accountability
WG."  Figuring out how to apply the dividing line may be more art than
science, and needs to be pragmatic rather than doctrinaire, but should at
least use the Charters as a starting point.

Our Charter:

*Relationship to ICANN Accountability Review Process*

The IANA stewardship transition process is taking place alongside a
parallel and related process on enhancing ICANN accountability. While
maintaining the accountability of Internet identifier governance is central
to both processes, this group’s scope is focused on the arrangements
required for the continuance of IANA functions in an accountable and widely
accepted manner after the expiry of the NTIA-ICANN contract. Nevertheless,
the two processes are interrelated and interdependent and should
appropriately coordinate their work. Accountability for the administration
of the IANA functions (i.e., implementation and operational
accountability), however, is properly within the scope of this working
group.

Accountability WG Charter:

*Link with scope of Cross Community Working Group (**CWG*
<https://community.icann.org/x/37fhAg>*) to Develop an IANA Stewardship
Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions, and **other groups*
<https://www.icann.org/en/stewardship/community>*developing the IANA
Stewardship Transition proposal**:*

This process on Enhancing ICANN Accountability is taking place alongside a
parallel and related process on the transition of the stewardship of the
IANA functions through the CWG to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition
Proposal on Naming Related Functions (hereinafter CWG-Stewardship). The
CWG-Stewardship’s scope is focused on the arrangements required for the
continuance of IANA functions in an accountable and widely accepted manner
after the expiry of the IANA Functions Contract. Accountability for the
administration of the IANA functions (i.e., implementation and operational
accountability) is not within the scope of the CCWG-Accountability as it is
being dealt with by the CWG-Stewardship. Nevertheless, the two processes
are interrelated and interdependent and should appropriately coordinate
their work.

Other groups’ (i.e. the numbers and protocol parameters communities, as
outlined in the ICG Request for Proposals
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rfp-iana-stewardship-08sep14-en.pdf>)
proposals are intended to cover accountability issues related to the IANA
Stewardship Transition, as well as issues already being considered by RIRs
and IETF communities related in their respective areas in their engagement
with ICANN. These issues are outside of scope of the CCWG-Accountability.
The CCWG-Accountability will communicate with these groups to ensure that
the CCWG-Accountability does not cover issues going beyond its scope.

Greg

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 02:24:23PM +0000, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> > > That is indeed an important issue, but I'm not sure it is directly
> related to
> > > the IANA transition as such.
> >
> > Sigh. It is related because in all other operational communities, the
> policy making function is separated from the IANA function. In DNS it is
> not.
>
> Perhaps I should have stated explicitly, "…given that there's in fact
> a whole other WG working on the accountability issues."  This is why I
> argued the other day that we need to work out the necessary and
> sufficient conditions for accountability but do no more.
>
> Best regards,

> --
> Andrew Sullivan
> ajs at anvilwalrusden.com

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*