[CWG-Stewardship] A liaison from the Board to CWG

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Feb 22 10:27:48 UTC 2015

OK, in that case we are in violent agreement, certainly about this:

It seems we are talking about two different things.  I agreed below the ICANN as regulator model for gTLDs is one of ICANN's functions.  It does not, and should not, have this regulatory role as the IANA functions operator.  We need to keep ICANN's various roles separate from the IANA functions operator role - ie it is not just keeping the policy separate, but also ICANN's roles as gTLD regulator.

That we keep bringing in gTLD operational issues into the mix does concern me.  I thought we had all agreed that we needed some form of separation of roles.