[CWG-Stewardship] Client Committee Update

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Feb 23 23:54:33 UTC 2015

Thanks Greg.

Chuck

From: Greg Shatan [mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 6:27 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: cwg-stewardship at icann.org
Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] Client Committee Update

Chuck,

Client conflicts actually follow a fairly objective set of rules (although you have to be fairly well-versed in them to apply them correctly).  As I understand it, each firm had a direct conflict (i.e., they represented a client in a matter directly adverse to ICANN (i.e., ICANN was on the other side)) that disqualified them under the relevant ethical rules from taking on this representation.  I'm not sure in each instance who identified the client relationship.  In one case, I'm certain that the firm identified a conflict and withdrew without providing details.  I believe ICANN legal actually pressed them on it, to see if it might not be a real conflict and thus could be resolved, and the firm basically stated that they were certain it was a conflict and they were out. In one case where I know the facts, but not the origin, the conflict was clear -- the firm represented the "plaintiff" in an ongoing IRP.

I'm not sure in the other cases who noticed it first -- but I'm not sure it actually matters, both because "a conflict is a conflict" and also because firms ultimately go through a very detailed conflict process before agreeing to take on a  matter (but they may not go through the whole process if they are just one of several firms under consideration) -- so even if ICANN said "hey, you're suing us" before that firm found out, the firm would have found out soon enough.

Greg