[CWG-Stewardship] Call for suggestions to design teams

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Feb 23 11:33:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

While I agree that the legal information is necessary, I do not see how
it will solve the Internal-External conundrum.  I expect that both side
of the coin, i.e. that all of the solutions, perhaps with tweaks, are
all legally viable.  The legal info is necessary for fine tuning, but
can someone explain how it will possibly resolve the diametrically
opposed opinions about the best CWG proposal.  Even if one of the
solutions is deemed legally problematic, do we expect those who insist
on an External solution to all of a sudden accept an Internal solution?
Or vice-versa? Or will they just adjust the legal aspects of their
favored solution to continue supporting their postion?

The Integrated proposal we will be discussing tomorrow is an attempt to
bridge that gap, that is certainly its intended goal The Integrated
model and its various configurations may or may not be helpful in
bridging the gap, we think it might be. I believe, though, that it is
essential for us to bridge that gap somehow if we expect to arrive at a
solution that is at least acceptable to most.  To my mind, at least,
that is one of our most critical tasks.  Note: we do not consider it so
much a new solution as one that builds on aspects of both of the
existing solution paths and tries to find mechanisms that support the
dual nature, internal & external, of the solution.

I do agree that we should finalize work on CSC and IAP as those seem to
figure into all corners of the current solution space. But waiting until
the legal experts tell us which of the solutions paths is the right one,
may not be an optimal use of our time.

avri