[CWG-Stewardship] A liaison from the Board to CWG

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Feb 24 17:08:30 UTC 2015

GS:  I don't think a turnkey approach is a "fantasy"; however, it's certainly more work. I'm all in favor of flexibility and taking a more granular approach to what level of detail is needed for a given aspect of the plan. I'm happy to do less work rather than more.  Our job is big no matter where you define the boundaries.  Of course, anything we don't do now will need to be done by this or some other body (an "Implementation Team"?) later.

This is why I am somewhat dismissive of the turnkey concept. Turnkey says, we must do ALL the work IN ADVANCE. It does _not_ reduce the amount of work. Therefore it does _not_ reduce the amount of time taken by developing a transition plan. Indeed, by forcing pre-definition of complex arrangements in advance, it might actually take more time.

Milton L Mueller
Laura J. and L. Douglas Meredith Professor
http://faculty.ischool.syr.edu/mueller/
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org<http://internetgovernance.org/>