[CWG-Stewardship] Client Committee Update

Kieren McCarthy kieren at kierenmccarthy.com
Wed Feb 25 14:55:04 UTC 2015

Jonathan,

As I am sure you are aware, it is vitally important that every aspect of
this transition process is seen to be done as openly and as transparently
as possible.

The two chairs decided to step outside what have been the norms of this
process - open groups, mailing lists and minuted discussions - in what is
one of the most important aspects of this whole process: the selection of
an independent legal expert.

The reason given for that significant change in approach - and the reason
accepted by this group - was expediency: the ability to quickly choose a
third party.

That claimed benefit, and the reasons for the trade-off in openness and
transparency, has not happened as you yourself acknowledge.

At this point, it should have been clear to the committee that it needed to
re-engender the trust put into it by the community by being as open and
informative as possible.

As you can see from numerous posts to this thread, the update that was
provided falls far short of what we would expect to see from a closed door
process.

Now this is not to apportion blame - we are all extremely well aware of the
enormous workload this group and the chairs in particular are under.

But "trust" - which is the remaining reason you provide for continuing to
run a out-of-step process - is not something built up that can then be
spent on bypassing procedural norms or failing to provide sufficient
information. Trust in this context comes from you and the other members of
the committee recognizing people's concerns and taking concrete steps to
address them.

Now I have asked to join the committee and I am willing to bring my skills
of quick, concise and accurate communication to fill the gap between
running a closed process and keeping people informed and confident that the
committee is working in the best overall interests of the group.

I would hope you will accept this offer, also given in good faith, or else
give a very good reason why not.

As to confidentiality, that is an obvious and very simple issue to tackle.
Although I would expect to see clear communication explaining why it is
necessary to keep some details confidential and to outline in broad what
details those are. That, I would argue, is how to best create trust in this
unusual process.

Kieren