[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN Board as "regulator" (was: A liaison from the Board to CWG)

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Feb 26 15:29:21 UTC 2015

Hi, Andrew
Fiona Alexander of NTIA has made a frequent point of telling us that .int is currently in the IANA contract (C.2.9.4) and a complete proposal will have to decide what to do with it.

I personally believe that ICANN and/or IANA should get rid of this function. It's not central to their missions and I'd like to maintain a clean line between the root zone registry and TLD registry operators.

By the same token I think the stakes are pretty low on this one and if we just said "it stays with ICANN" most planets would remain in their orbits.

A better middle ground might be to specify, as part of the transition, that ICANN will come up with a plan to divest itself of it within 2 years.