[CWG-Stewardship] CWG Draft Proposal - A survey regarding the CSC and MRT (Re-sent with correct URL)

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 22:33:13 UTC 2015

Steve,

Here are my views in response to your email.

First, there is an open field for comments at the end of each section (one
for the CSC, one for the MRT).  You should use these to comment on specific
statements, as well as to provide any more general comments you wish to
make.

Second, there is no implied acceptance of the embedded assumption.
Apparently, we may not have communicated this well enough.  A response to a
statement that assumes A is not in any way going to be interpreted as
acceptance of A.  What we are looking for is reactions to each of the
discrete propositions.  The embedded assumption is purely for the sake of
context ("assuming arguendo" as the lawyers say).  Speaking for myself, I
will not read any answer to a question that assumes the existence of, e.g.,
the MRT, as a tacit indication of preference for the MRT.

Consider these questions to be somewhat similar to the "Desert Island
Discs" question (If you were stuck on a desert island, which ten records
would you want with you?).  Answering the question does not imply that you
think that being stranded on a desert island is a Good Thing, or even
remotely acceptable.  You can reject the premise, and still answer the
question, and that will not in any way make the premise more likely.

Best regards,

Greg

(Also speaking for myself but hopefully aligned with others who assisted in
putting this survey together.)

(By the way, my list (today) is Giant Steps, Kind of Blue, The Royal Scam,
Stunt (Barenaked Ladies), Twin Cinema (New Pornographers), The Atomic Basie
(Count Basie), Pure Desmond (Paul Desmond), Concierto (Jim Hall), 100 Days,
100 Nights (Sharon Jones) and Blue Moses (Randy Weston).  Tomorrow, it
might be quite different.)