[CWG-Stewardship] RFP 3 Sub-Group (AKA RFP 3b) - CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Paul Szyndler paul.szyndler at auda.org.au
Fri Jan 9 00:26:40 UTC 2015

Hi Allan,

I am happy to assist wherever possible.

Regards,

Paul

From: cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org
[mailto:cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Allan MacGillivray
Sent: Friday, 9 January 2015 10:46 AM
To: Christopher Wilkinson; Jonathan Robinson
Cc: cwg-stewardship at icann.org
Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] RFP 3 Sub-Group (AKA RFP 3b) - CALL FOR
VOLUNTEERS

Chris - thanks for volunteering.  We all know that time is very tight so I
want to outline how I think we could best optimize our time and energy.

As you know there are three main components to the current CWG proposal
for the IANA functions: Contract Co; CSC and the MRT, setting the IAP
aside, at least for the moment.  I propose that we focus on a variant of
the CWG option which does not have, at least immediately, a 'Contract Co',
but rather relies on some set of 'triggers' to create the separation of
the IANA function from ICANN.  My hope is that we can develop a single
proposal for discussion purposes and in this fashion, catch up to the work
that has already been done on the full CWG proposal.  With such a focus on
'no Contract Co' we may also be able to set aside, again, at least for the
moment, the CSC and the MRT as I believe there is a high degree of
consensus that the functions that these two entities would perform are
needed, that is operational oversight and periodic review respectively.

This may seem to be a daunting task, but I would remind you that the core
of the CWG proposal ran to only just 7 pages in the December 1 proposal.
I think that together we can put something credible together in a
reasonable amount of time.

It would be very helpful if the communities and organizations who had
significant concerns with Contract Co and who also sought the development
of such a proposal could actively participate as I fear it would lack
credibility without them.  I am speaking in particular of auDA, SIDN,
Google and ALAC.  If I have missed centring anyone out, you are still
welcome to volunteer!

Allan