[CWG-Stewardship] RFP 3 Sub-Group (AKA RFP 3b) - CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 9 06:18:21 UTC 2015

At 08/01/2015 06:46 PM, Allan MacGillivray wrote:

>Chris – thanks for volunteering.  We all know
>that time is very tight so I want to outline how
>I think we could best optimize our time and energy.
>
>As you know there are three main components to
>the current CWG proposal for the IANA functions:
>Contract Co; CSC and the MRT, setting the IAP
>aside, at least for the moment.  I propose that
>we focus on a variant of the CWG option which
>does not have, at least immediately, a ‘Contract
>Co’, but rather relies on some set of ‘triggers’
>to create the separation of the IANA function
>from ICANN.  My hope is that we can develop a
>single proposal for discussion purposes and in
>this fashion, catch up to the work that has
>already been done on the full CWG
>proposal.  With such a focus on ‘no Contract Co’
>we may also be able to set aside, again, at
>least for the moment, the CSC and the MRT as I
>believe there is a high degree of consensus that
>the functions that these two entities would
>perform are needed, that is operational
>oversight and periodic review respectively.

The ALAC proposal kept the CSC and MRT to a large
extent similar to what they were in the CWG
proposal, largely to diffuse criticism that we
had not provided sufficient detail. In fact, in
an internal-to-ICANN solution, these dobies will
likely be MUCH easier to bring into being and the
"MRT" has far less to do in a steady state
operation. So our work will not likely have the
volume of the CWG proposal, nor will it need it.

Alan