[CWG-Stewardship] SAC069: SSAC Advisory on Maintaining the Security and Stability of the IANA Functions Through the Stewardship Transition

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Sun Jan 11 17:50:59 UTC 2015

> On Jan 11, 2015, at 11:20 AM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> I finally had a chance to review SAC069 and I believe that the CWG needs to take into consideration the SSAC recommendations as they apply to the IANA naming functions.  In addition, I recommend that the CWG consider endorsing the SSAC principles contained in SAC069 in addition to the CWG principles; there is a little overlap but I do not think that is a problem.

Chuck,

Thanks for referring to SAC 069. Let me share a link to the document and below copy/paste the recommendations for the CWG to read.

regards

Robert

SSAC Advisory on Maintaining the Security and Stability of the IANA Functions Through the Stewardship Transition
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-069-en.pdf

Recommendation 1: The operational communities (protocol parameters, names, and
numbers) that have been invited to submit proposals should determine 1) whether
or not the requirements and deliverables defined in the IANA Functions Contract
should be retained, and if so which ones; 2) whether or not additional external
controls are necessary for requirements that should be retained; and 3) if additional
external controls are necessary, how and by whom they should be administered.

Recommendation 2a: Each of the communities should determine whether or not
existing mechanisms outside of the IANA Functions Contract are sufficiently robust
to hold the IANA Functions Operator accountable to the affected communities for
the proper performance of the IANA Functions after the IANA Functions Contract
expires; and if they are not, the communities should determine what additional
accountability mechanisms will be needed.

Recommendation 2b: Each of the communities should review and (if necessary)
enhance its policy development process to ensure that all of the instructions that it
provides to the IANA Functions Operator are clear and implementable.

Recommendation 3: Each of the communities should investigate and clarify the
process for handling the possibility of governmental sanctions and restrictions (e.g.,
the protocol for obtaining OFAC9 licenses where US sanctions might interfere with
the ability to execute proper instructions to IANA) following the stewardship
transition.

Recommendation 4: As part of the transition process, each of the affected
communities should consider the extent to which the importance of transparency
and freedom from improper influence in the performance of the IANA Functions
might require additional mechanisms or other safeguards.

Recommendation 5: Noting the stability and efficiency of existing structures,
processes, and mechanisms for the management of the root zone, the SSAC
recommends that any proposal to replace NTIA’s final authorization of root zone
changes with an alternative be at least as reliable, resilient, and efficient as the
current process.

Recommendation 6: Effective arrangements should be made for the reliable and
timely performance of all aspects of the root zone management process posttransition,
including inter-organization coordination if the post-transition RZM
process involves more than one root zone management partner.

Recommendation 7: NTIA should clarify the processes and legal framework
associated with the role of the Root Zone Maintainer after transition