[CWG-Stewardship] SAC069: SSAC Advisory on Maintaining the Security and Stability of the IANA Functions Through the Stewardship Transition

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Mon Jan 12 15:37:27 UTC 2015

Thanks for clarifying Milton.  I did misunderstand.

Like the CWG’s own principles  I think they can serve as checks when we consider various options.  Let me use the Conservatism principle as an example.

In reviewing the CWG Frankfurt proposal, by applying the Conservatism principle, I can as whether “the number, scope, and impact of changes to existing structures, processes, and mechanisms
. . . absolutely necessary to maintain the integrity of the performance of IANA Functions”.  I am sure different CWG participants would answer this question differently.  Some who support the internal to ICANN approach might say ‘no’.  Those who support the Frankfurt proposal might answer yes.  When we try to reconcile the different positions, we can then look at the proposed structures, processes and mechanisms to see we can reduce or simply them to better ensure  ‘the integrity of the performance of IANA Functions’.

Of  course we definitely should not apply principles in isolation on any given elements of a proposal.  In some cases principles will conflict and we may have to give more weight to one principle than another because of an objective that we deem critical. To follow on in what I said regarding the Conservatism principle, some in the CWG will likely think that the Transferability principle should be weighted heavier, especially in cases where performance issues are serious.

Hope this helps.

Chuck