[CWG-Stewardship] Revised Scoping Document for Legal Advice

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Jan 21 18:16:08 UTC 2015

Sounds good to me Greg.  Thanks.

Chuck

From: Greg Shatan [mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:55 AM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: cwg-stewardship at icann.org
Subject: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] Revised Scoping Document for Legal Advice

Chuck:

Good points.  Fresh(er) eyes are always useful.

The first item is trying to say:  "Currently, ICANN's duties and obligations as the IANA Functions Operator are set forth in the IANA Functions Contract.  If there is no Contract, where will these duties and obligations be documented?"  This should also deal with the fact that the NTIA's rights and obligations are also in the Contract, and these rights and obligations will also need to be documented somewhere.  I'll try to clean this up so it is not so cryptic.

The second item is somewhat more nuanced. If we need advice in a totally new area (e.g., libel and defamation), a new "request" would be appropriate. But this document is just meant to set the stage for counsel -- it's not a closed-end set of questions, and I don't want to give the impression that we would need an additional request to ask additional questions in this field.  These are not "written interrogatories" -- where we send them 30 questions and they respond with 30 answers; that's not how getting legal advice works (and I'm sure you already know that).  I expect that our advice on corporate governance, corporate structuring and not-for-profit corporations law will evolve -- not into uncharted waters, but as a result of the process of discussing our legal needs with outside counsel.  It's rare that a client comes to a lawyer with all the right questions -- it's a somewhat iterative process to hone in on the issues that really matter.  As a result, we will need an appropriate amount of latitude to get the advice and deliverables we need to complete our work.  I'll see if anything needs to be said to clarify these points (but I hate to make this longer than it already is).

Greg