[CWG-Stewardship] Revised Scoping Document for Legal Advice

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 13:09:56 UTC 2015

Greg,

This all looks good and typically thorough, so thanks for all your hard work on it.

As a non-lawyer (and as someone entirely ignorant about US competition legislation), I remember your comment a couple of RFP3 calls ago that it might be that the CSC would be seen as an example of cartel-like behaviour.  (I forget and didn’t write down the technical term that you used.)

As someone who would see the CSC role very much as one of being first line of discussion with the IANA functions operator about issues that come out of its regular reports, and seeking to resolve these concerns as a first-line response, I wonder whether we could slip in a question on the boundary between the CSC and the IANA functions operator where the behaviour slips into the potentially illegal.

I suppose the question would be around two parts:

·         Would discussing and seeking (non-financial) redress of deteriorating performance between a group of customers and its supplier be seen as acceptable behaviour?

·         Would a complete transparency of the exchanges help ensure that there were no questions of impropriety?

·         Would the involvement of other – non-customer – stakeholders help ensure general acceptability (or be detrimental or entirely irrelevant to considerations)?

Is this a useful direction of enquiry?

Thanks

Martin