[CWG-Stewardship] Do we need an extra scenario given the requirements formulated by the CCWG-Accountability ?

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Jan 26 20:37:59 UTC 2015

Hi all

I don't think this works. The ICANN community is what would have the
overarching responsibility here. That's not the same as the global
multistakeholder community which is where the IANA functions are going, and
it is not a legitimate proxy for it.

The work of our accountability CCWG might help improve the IANA
accountability situation, but shouldn't in my view replace your work to
develop a robust distributed stewardship model for the IANA functions -
something an internal-to-ICANN solution can never deliver.

best,
Jordan

On 26 January 2015 at 22:18, Maarten Simon <maarten.simon at sidn.nl> wrote:

>  All,
>
> I have read the CCWG-Accountability Chairs' statement and wonder if we
> should not also discuss a scenario for the situation where the
> CCWG-Accountability will be successful in reaching their first requirement:
>
> "*Enabling community empowerment over ICANN Board decisions with limited,
> strictly enumerated, last resort powers;"*
>
> As far as I understand, these last resort powers are meant to include the
> powers with regard to the IANA functions. I figure that if the community
> will already have the final say over the IANA functions through these last
> resort powers, that:
>
> 1. There will be no need for an external solution where the same community
> will be given the final say over the IANA functions;
>
> 2. There is no need for an MRT;
>
> 3. There might be a need for a CSC (maybe a CSC plus);
>
> But maybe I am oversimplifying things here ?
>
> Best,
>
> Maarten

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*