[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: [Internal-cg] Status of IPR topic in the CWG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:43:51 UTC 2015

Alissa,

I'll give you my thoughts on the various questions, although these are not
official answers of the CWG:

1.  Timeline:  It's unclear if Manal is asking about the timeline for the
estimate or for the underlying project.  For the estimate, counsel to the
CWG (Sidley) responded yesterday on another estimate request made at the
same time, and said they would respond shortly to this request.  For the
underlying project, I think it's premature to come up with a specific
timeline until we engage counsel and talk timing with them.  That said,
everyone understands this needs to be expedited to coordinate with the ICG.

2.  Fallback Plan:  I don't think there's any need to formulate a backup
plan.  I am highly confident that we will get the help we need from Sidley
with an appropriate time and cost.  They've been working closely with us;
they know they need to be pragmatic and cost-effective.  Also, ICANN has
said that they will give this project the support it needs, so the concept
of "out of budget" doesn't strictly apply.  That said, this is not a "blank
check," and if the estimate seems excessive, I'm sure we'll push back and
quickly get it right.  It would be presumptuous of me to speculate on a
back-up plan in the exceptionally unlikely event that we decide not to
assign Sidley this particular task; I'll just reiterate that I think it is
unnecessary and even a tad alarmist to focus on this.

3.  As for Milton's question, "why would CWG be seriously considering
options that are going to cause compatibility problems" with the CRISP
proposal?  I believe the CWG has a duty and an obligation to come to its
own understanding of the facts and the law, and then to come to its own
conclusions.  As has been well stated by our Chairs, the CWG has not yet
formed a view. Implicit in this, the CWG has not formed a view on the CRISP
proposal.  It would be highly inappropriate to pressure the CWG to "go
along to get along," to accept another community's position just because it
showed up first, and not on the basis of actual deliberation and
understanding.  The CRISP proposal does not form any kind of "status quo."
 Indeed, the "status quo" is that ICANN owns the trademarks and domain
names.  Although the RFP asked us to maintain the status quo unless there
specific, well-explained reasons not to, I think that the CWG should
approach this question with an open mind, without giving weight to either
the status quo or the CRISP proposal.  If the CWG comes up with a different
proposal than the CRISP proposal, the ICG should also approach this
situation with an open mind, and facilitate a determination by the
communities and the ICG of how to resolve any incompatibility.

Greg