[CWG-Stewardship] Request for a quote on two tasks

Christopher Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Tue Jul 21 17:37:49 UTC 2015

Good afternoon:

With regard to the proposal relating to the IPR associated with IANA, may I make the following observations and suggestions:

(a) the status quo has a good deal of support among the community. The prospect of transferring any IPR anywhere in present circumstances probably does not enjoy broad community consensus.

(b) Regarding the proposed alternatives:

-	transferring any IPR to PTI at this stage appears hazardous. That entity does not even exist as yet.

-	To the best of my knowledge, the IETF Trust is but a shadow of the Internet Society itself, which already holds IPR on behalf of IETF. (I am sure that a more precise account would be forthcoming from ISOC, Reston.)

	However, it would seem to me that, transferring IANA IPR to ISOC, would be perceived in the rest of the community as giving disproportionate weight to the Protocol community,
 	whereas it is  the Names and the Numbers who are actually most directly concerned by the day-to-day operation of IANA.

( c)   	the question of transferring IANA IPR has arisen as a by-product of the argument about separating IANA from ICANN now, or in the future. Having followed that debate with some care, I conclude that option does not benefit from broad community support. Indeed, separating IANA from ICANN, a fortiori disaggregating IANA among the three users would require significant stress-testing of the proposition, in and of itself.

(d)	As I have pointed out on previous occasions, all those SO and AC who are primarily concerned with global oversight, transparency and fair conditions of competition, could not logically endorse separation or disaggregation as that would unduly and excessively augment the costs of  necessary oversight.

Regards

CW