[CWG-Stewardship] ICG request concerning IANA trademark and iana.org domain name

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jun 22 15:46:00 UTC 2015

From: cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org [mailto:cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of James Gannon

The facts should be simple.

  *   We have a set of marks currently awarded via the IANA contract to ICANN
  *   These marks are used by 3 separate entities
  *   We are looking for a new home for the marks
  *   Marks need to be usable by all 3 entities
  *   We are seeking advice as to our options for homing the marks
To this list I would add:

·     How the marks are handled must permit all 3 communities to change IANA functions operators and shift usage of the marks to the new operator

·     The concept of “the IANA” has its origins in IETF standards and refers to registries for unique identifier spaces created by IETF standards
While there may be one or two other “facts” that are relevant, on the whole I agree with James that fact-finding or fact identification is not the major task this CWG has to execute at this stage. Rather, our main task is to find a way of “homing the marks” that makes the CWG proposal compatible with the CRISP team and IANAPLAN WG proposals.