[CWG-Stewardship] Sidley Austin LLP

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:58:56 UTC 2015

Jonathan:

Are we going to have access to at least the recording of this call before
our Tuesday meeting?

-ed

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Jonathan Robinson <jrobinson at afilias.info>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> As of Friday 6 March, the CWG-Stewardship has engaged Sidley Austin LLP to
> advise and consult on the CWG’s development of a transition proposal.
>

> In the past two weeks, the Client Committee shortlisted three firms,
> interviewed each of them, and retained one. We chose to retain Sidley
> primarily because they envisaged the engagement as consultation rather than
> pure advice. In addition, Sidley presented a strong governance focus as
> well as specific experience with the U.S. political environment (including
> a former Congressman and a former Department of Commerce appointee).
>

> Sidley is aware of the CWG’s tight timeframe and accepts the requirement
> for highly transparent work methods. Also, the client relationship has been
> clearly defined and emphasized in the retention letter in that *ICANN has
> instructed Sidley to take direction exclusively from and provide advice and
> consultation exclusively to the CWG, primarily through the CWG’s Client
> Committee*.
>

> Sidley has no previous client relationship with ICANN. No conflicts were
> identified, however please note that Greg Shatan and Holly Gregory from
> Sidley worked at the same firm over a decade ago.
>

> The Client Committee will meet with Sidley Austin on Monday. This call
> will be recorded and transcribed and we will then provide an update to the
> CWG on Tuesday’s call, where we also plan to introduce the Sidley team to
> the CWG.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Jonathan & Lise

*NOTICE:* This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.