[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: [independent review] [Info] "Controlling Internet infrastructure"

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri May 1 17:00:15 UTC 2015

Thanks Greg.  In my opinion, this is a really well written paper and a good one to refer people to who do not know much about the DNS or ICANN or the IANA, but I think they didn’t get the following right:

“That is enough, we think, to make the IANA Transition— proposing, as it does, to fundamentally re-structure the existing DNS policy-making apparatus—a significant event, one that needs more public attention, understanding, and debate than it has received up to now.” (1st paragraph on page 21).

I do not think that the IANA Transition proposes to re-structure the existing DNS policy-making apparatus.  It does not and should not involve any change to ICANN’s policy making processes for ccTLDs or gTLDs or to the IETF’s processes for developing Internet standards or to the IP number policy development processes.  In fact, NTIA really doesn’t play a role in those areas any more so than other governments.  One of the oft stated conditions by many people involved in the IANA Transition work is that the policing making should be kept separate from the IANA functions.

Chuck