[CWG-Stewardship] A few additional comments for … Two additional webinars on 6-7 May

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Sun May 3 22:28:32 UTC 2015

Chuck,

> What is the board doing when it approves a ccTLD delegation if it is not making a decision?

I think it is just checking that its operators have followed due process and have documented the final decision.  The decision should have been made locally/nationally and it is not really for the ICANN Board to challenge or overrule a decision made in another country, just to check that the job has been done.  The IANA Functions Operator usually encourages contending parties come to a mutual agreement and the whole process is pretty delicate.

> PTI does not make any decision regarding whether policy has been followed except for technical policy

I’m still not really sure I know what you mean by technical policy.  I think the PTI assesses whether requests fit the requirements of RFC1591 and encourages local resolution of disputes.  In the case of continued disputes, the final decision would need to be according to local due process.  Elise might be able to explain how they currently assure themselves that the process has concluded.

The Board of the new entity would, I guess, want to ascertain that its staff is doing a good job – and that might include whether a delegation conforms to agreed policy and to local decisions (“C.2.9.2.c … the Contractor will consult with the interested and affected parties, as enumerated in Section C.1.3; relevant public authorities; and governments on any recommendation that is not within or consistent with an existing policy framework. In making its recommendations, the Contractor shall also take into account the relevant national frameworks and applicable laws of the jurisdiction that the TLD registry serves.”)  Due diligence would suggest a need to check that due process has been flowed within the IFO, and that the process and recommendation have been properly documented.

However, as I said to Milton last night, it had not occurred to me to put the check back to the ICANN Board.  I’m still not sure I understand why that would be a good idea.  In the case of a decision being made in the relevant jurisdiction, should verification of due process and documentation be able to do anything more than refer back and seek clarification?  I think not.  In which case, why would we separate an integral part of the SOW from the PTI when we are introducing legal separation?

Does that answer your questions?

Martin

What is the board doing when it approves a ccTLD delegation if it is not making a decision?

It seems to me that we are in agreement that PTI does not make any decision regarding whether policy has been followed except for technical policy.  Is that correct?

Chuck