[CWG-Stewardship] Action Item response: Background note on Separability Process

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed May 6 22:48:23 UTC 2015

I think this is getting way too complex.
The IFR should basically produce two types of outcomes.
* One is on the order of: change this, fix that. PTI either does that satisfactorily or not, CSC follows up.
* The other is: things are not so great, it may be time to change providers, let's have an RFP.

The notion of a lengthy and costly review process in turn triggering a new "separation review" which in turn recommends an RFP which in turn  triggers an RFP development and selection process strikes me as self-evidently absurd. I know I am more constitutionally allergic to bureaucracy than most people but surely even normal people might find this a bit too much.

Justice delayed is justice denied. Accountability delayed is accountability denied.  If the process for addressing serious problems in PTI performance drags on for 7 years (IFR + SR + RFP) or more, there is no real accountability. The process can be gamed to death, among other things.

--MM