[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: Re: [DTA - SLE] SLE Document with clarifying background info.

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun May 10 12:28:51 UTC 2015

Non sequitur. The transition creates the opportunity for improvements. But as soon as it's over the willingness of all parties to change recedes.

FWIW, I've been saying it's impossible and a bad idea to try to do "everything" since March 5, 2014 - 10 days before the NTIA even announced their support for a transition. I've always believed that the accountability of ICANN's board and policy making process is distinct from the IANA stewardship transition. There is a tendency on the CCWG side to load too many reforms into the immediate transition - and this tendency is greatly worsened by people who tell us that separability is a bad thing or a risky thing and that an external contracting authority is not necessary because we can....rely on ICANN's accountability reforms. So if you are one of those people, (and sometimes you sound like one) you have no one but yourself to blame for the "do everything at the time of transition" tendency, because it implies that both IANA and the policy process can rest entirely on ICANN's internal accountability mechanisms.