[CWG-Stewardship] Paul Kane's DIPD Request

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon May 11 01:41:43 UTC 2015

As I said on a call recently, I was somewhat distressed that the CWG
building the plan for transition of the IANA stewardship from the
NTIA to (as is now part of the plan) to ICANN had to file a formal
request under ICANN's Documentary Information Disclosure Policy
(DIDP) to get information relevant to our effort
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/didp-request-20150407-1-kane-redacted-07apr15-en.pdf).

The reply
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/didp-response-20150407-1-kane-07may15-en.pdf)
does confirm that most of what we are asking for is already in the
public domain and available.

However, it also identifies one more class of information that may
contain confidential information (presumably about registries) and
that ICANN feels would not be appropriate to publish openly. I
completely support that position. If I were to supply information to
ICANN with an expectation of confidentiality, I would not want to see
that information published either.

But that reply sidesteps the real issue. The information is, today,
routinely provided to the NTIA. When the NTIA is not longer part of
the process, what happens. Since we do not know exactly what is in
these reports, it is not possible for us to say whether they are
needed any longer, and if so, who should they go to. Almost certainly
they should not go to the CSC if they include registry-confidential
data. Or perhaps they should go there, and we need to get registry
sign-off that such distribution is acceptable.

Surely if the NTIA currently feels that the information is valuable,
we need to at least make an assessment and then make an appropriate
recommendation on how to proceed. We either need mocked up reports
(or whatever these are) purging them of possible confidential data,
or we need to identify a number of individuals for who this
information would not harm registry secrecy/privacy and who will sign
a non-disclosure agreement, so that we can properly assess what to do
post-transition.

Alan