[CWG-Stewardship] FW: Costings associatted with IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Tue May 12 11:30:31 UTC 2015

All. FYI. Jonathan.

From: Jonathan Robinson [mailto:jrobinson at afilias.info]
Sent: 12 May 2015 12:30
To: Xavier J. Calvez (xavier.calvez at icann.org)
Cc: Grace Abuhamad (grace.abuhamad at icann.org); Lise Fuhr (lise.fuhr at difo.dk)
Subject: Costings associatted with IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal

Dear Xavier,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Cross Community Working Group (CWG) to
Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions
and in my capacity as co-chair of the CWG together with Lise Fuhr.

I know that you are aware of the submission by the CWG into the comment
period for the ICANN FY2016 budget. However, the CWG has specifically
requested that I ask you to review our current draft proposal for cost
implications and that you provide any comments and further information that
you are able to.

In particular, the proposal envisages moving from the current model of
functional separation of the IANA unit within ICANN to a structure and mode
of operation that is both functionally and legally separate. Our legal
advisers have provided an indication of the basic costs associated with this
type of structure and these are attached for your reference. However, these
basic legal costs will not cover all of the issues and changes in cost.
Therefore, as part of understanding the implications of the proposed
transition, it will be very helpful to have your considered view of the
future costs and the obvious implications for the 2016 and future ICANN
budgets.

Thank-you in advance for your assistance in dealing with this question.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Robinson

On behalf of the CWG