[CWG-Stewardship] FW: Further input to CWG-Stewardship on .int

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Tue May 12 21:46:51 UTC 2015

[Sorry for the slow response -- bit buried right now]

Richard,

Thanks very much for this, in particular the pointers to the historical
documents -- I've looked for those in the past. Fascinating stuff,
particularly for folks like myself who find early Internet history
interesting.

As I joined ICANN (the first time) in Nov 2005, the events you provided
pointers to were a bit before my time. My understanding is that while
ICANN was indeed involved in the workshop that preceded the E.int work
within the ITU, ICANN was not actually involved in the E.int work that led
to E.910 itself (I know I wasn't). Is this incorrect?

Also, since I wasn't involved in the E.int work, I'm unaware of how much
input or involvement the international treaty organizations currently
registered in .INT (other than the ITU obviously) had in the formulation
of the requirements documented in E.910. My reading of E.910 suggests a
level of top-down presumption that, notwithstanding the historical
documents you reference, does not necessary correspond to the bottom-up
methodologies now used in the definition of TLD registry policies. For
example, of the 180+ current treaty based organizations registered in
.INT, how many were actually substantively involved in the development of
E.910?

Given how the management of the namespace has evolved in the nearly a
decade since E.910 was published by the ITU, and in particular, how TLD
registry policies are now generally developed via multi-stakeholder
processes in a bottom-up fashion, I'm still unsure whether it makes a
whole lot of sense to make a change without engaging the directly impacted
parties. Further, while it is true that .INT is an IANA function and, as
such, will be impacted by the transition of the stewardship of that
function from NTIA, I've not gotten the impression that there is a whole
lot of pressure to change from the current status quo in terms of
day-to-day operations. Do you see things differently?

Regards,
-drc