[CWG-Stewardship] update on DT X Separation Process

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 15 05:50:43 UTC 2015

On 15-May-15 06:36, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> That said, with respect to Avri's writeup, I am also wondering what
> the full separation of affiliate mean since I now understand affiliate
> to mean an entity not "owned" by ICANN. If there is going to be any
> further separation, I would think initiating an RFP process and moving
> the function to another operator would be the case; ICANN is now the
> steward not PTI

As I understood:

If the PTI is a LLC, then it would be completely owned by ICANN and
could even be dissolved by ICANN and reabsorbed.

If the PTI is an affiliate with a Insider board it is not owned but it
is completely controlled via its Board, Contract and Budget.

If the PTI is an affiliate with an outsider Board it is not owned but it
is controlled via Contract and Budget.

To relate this to the SR, each would present a different set of
opportunities for SR action, that is why the 5 possibilities in the SR
text are really just examples, an incomplete set in the whole universe
of examples, that the SR mechanism could recmmend.

As I mentioned in the call this is my personal reason for thinking that
an SR event, needs to be quite similar to the current Transition event.
It would be a big deal that the whole community would need to be
involved in.

avri

---