[CWG-Stewardship] update on DT X Separation Process

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 15 11:33:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

Further thoughts on this point.

On 15-May-15 11:26, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> We are not changing stewardship or high-level institutions, we are changing a functions operator

It is true, the Stewardship for Names will remain with ICANN and the
Stewardship for the others will remian with those operational communities.

IANA, however, which is still the ultimate root of the Internet for
Names, Numbers and Protocols, is still a critical entity.  I know that I
am perhaps in a minority that values the unity of IANA, nonetheless, I
think that moving the function away from the current IANA group, moving
any of the functions away from the current group, is something that we
must attempt to avoid and must do with the greatest of care if necessary
to do so.  So if it became time to move the IFO function and possibly to
split it, I think that calls for an all hands on deck community action.
I personally believe that should be the case if any of the operational
communities come to the conclusion that it is time to to move their
segment of the IFO, but I know that is not our concern.  In this case,
however,  since ICANN would, under the current assumption, be the
service provider for Numbers and Protocols, and the  parent company for
the affiliate or subsidiary serving Names, it would only make sense to
take this very seriously and not just as the act of finding a new
technical service provider for the IFO.

I think that is part of what would be required of us as the stewards for
the root of the Internet. That is part of why I think it is a very
serious community process and not just the search for a new technical
provider.

avri

---