[CWG-Stewardship] .mil and .gov (and maybe .edu)

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri May 15 14:59:22 UTC 2015

> On May 15, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 03:49:25PM -0400, Greg Shatan wrote:
>>
>>   - the U.S. government will be granted ownership of the ".gov" and ".mil"
>>   top-level domains and specified servers will be maintained in the United
>>   States;
>> A couple of the Representatives raised concerns that .gov and .mil​ would
>> be vulnerable to a transfer away from the USG, and asked the witnesses if
>> ownership (or perpetual control) of .gov and .mil by the US should be
>> ensured in the transition. Several panelists answered in the affirmative
>> and I don't believe any opposed.
>> We have not really discussed this issue.  I think it behooves us to deal
>> with it.
>
> I don't understand what there is to deal with.  The domains are
> _below_ the root.  They're already delegated.  Nobody seems to think
> that the delegations of any other TLDs are going to change during this
> transition.  Why should these?
> I am not even a little surprised that members of the US Congress don't
> understand that the root zone is the invisible zone _beyond_ the TLD
> in every domain name.  But it frustrates me enormously that supposed
> experts who go and testify about this topic either don't know that
> either, or else won't say so because it's tricky to explain and they
> have some other axe to grind.
>> If there's anything to say about this, it's that there's nothing to say.

As one of the supposed experts, I’m not sure what message I’m supposed to be taking from your posting.

One guy asked if there was a problem, a couple of people of the other witnesses said “no,” and since they were right, I didn’t see any reason to waste any further time on the issue.  What would you have preferred?

                                -Bill