[CWG-Stewardship] update on DT X Separation Process

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri May 15 21:50:05 UTC 2015

I don't think the change is as simple as that;
MM: apparently you haven’t changed ISPs lately. ;-) Not so simple
A change of IANA operator goes beyond just swapping and signing contract, the experience history in the current IANA operating staff will be lost and that is of great importance to me. Secondly i think its quite an hypothesis to already determined that the new IANA operator is a good one, without having tried them in any way.
MM: The IANA operator will be changed only if the “current IANA operating staff” has so frustrated its users that they want to change. So yes, their experience history will be discarded but only if our experience and history with them is bad. And yes, you don’t really know for sure how the new one will perform – this is exactly like an ISP change and a lot of other service changes