[CWG-Stewardship] Direct customers vs. the rest of stakeholders

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 22 05:49:16 UTC 2015

On 21-May-15 23:29, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> And yet, we have continually been told that as the direct customers,
> only registries (perhaps with token other involvement) need to be
> involved in a all sorts of decisions related to IANA.

I have to admit I may be the only one who remains somewhat confused by
the term direct customer:

Why is a registry which refers to a root server to make sure all of its
entries are correct, more direct than a registrant or user who depends
on a resolver that retrieves the data starting with the info in the root
server for proper reference to the correct registry.  Both are dependent
on the correct information to do their business and neither pays IANA
for transactions with root servers.  They both make indirect reference
to the data through the Root servers.  One needs data put in, and one
needs to pull the data out.

The Registrants, Registrars and Registries are the ones paying to
support the service, but it seems to me that both registries and users
are relying on the service of IANA in a similar manner - we both access
them through the root servers.

I have accepted the predominance of the  registries in the CSC partly
because they were so insistent that at this step in the process, they
had a SLA imperative.  But in the largest sense of whether the IANA was
delivering in all of its aspects, I do not see a reason for abrogating
the multistakeholder prerogative.

avri

---