[CWG-Stewardship] For your review: public comment summary and review tool

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri May 22 19:30:39 UTC 2015

Grace,
Thanks, this is a good start and a helpful document. Nice and simple.
I would hope some quick improvements or emendations could be made before we start using it as a basis for discussion, however.

Slide 7 needs to separate the 32% "against" PTI into commenters who do not want IFO separated at all and those who want it more separated. They shouldn't be bundled together because they are pointing in opposite directions. Given the results shown on Slide 9 (insider vs. outsider board) it might make more sense to bundle those who want more separation into the "For" PTI category. Better yet, have 3 categories. And it would be good to see a breakdown of who you classified as "for" and "against-no separation" and "against-more separation" to verify these numbers. I counted only 2 or 3 who did not want it separated at all. I think we might have a green slide here.

On Slide 15, I am not sure it makes sense to classify comments about a lack of detail into "for" and "against." A comment that said there was not enough info about separation mechanisms is not necessarily "against" the proposed separation mechanism. I read all the comments and don't think I read a single one that was "against" a separation mechanism, most just recognized that this part of the CWG proposal was very sketchy. Which it was! So you could have another green slide here too if you reframed the question as: "does the separation mechanism need more work?"

Slide 14 highlights relevant input but seems a bit out of place at this stage, given the role of the ICG. While comments talking about the relationship between the 3 operational communities made some valid points, the primary task of CWG-stewardship is to define a solution for the names community. The other communities can then address its relationship to that solution and the ICG is then tasked with brokering compatibility adjustments.

--MM