[CWG-Stewardship] Fate of the .INT domain

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Tue May 26 09:12:30 UTC 2015

I'm not convinced that it is:  the term "immediately" seems to me to be a bit amiss.

By all means let's defer this to a discussion post implementation, but I think it would be for the GAC to chose how soon after transition (resources and prioritisation are for them) it would wish to carry this out.

In addition, though, we seem to be making two fundamental "policy" assumptions that I think could be seen as having very wide implications.

1. We are proposing the redelegation of a (narrow remit - one could see it as a community-type) gTLD.  What are the rules for doing this for community gTLDs?  Are we following them?

2. We seem to be arguing that ICANN should not run a TLD, although the bylaws do not actually appear to apply in this case (no anti-competitive element).  As policy makers for gTLDs, should ICANN have a role in running one of the "regulated" entities?  I'm not sure that really applies here - it is one of the reasons for PTI to separate the IANA operational element from the policy side.  The argument could be that those operating the elements of the infrastructure should not also be a customer of the infrastructure, in which case does this happen for other key DNS infrastructure operators?

Before the review, don't we need to think about the justification for the review?  That assessment process could start immediately after the transition in a process that probably belongs in the GNSO but with the ccNSO, the root server operators and the root-zone maintainer having very clear interests.

MB