[CWG-Stewardship] Support for PTI and PTI board composition in the public comments

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu May 28 14:05:47 UTC 2015

Sure. Just to be clear: although counting is inevitable involved, an analysis of public comments received is not intended to be, nor should it be confused with, a public opinion survey that strives for a statistical measures drawn from a representative sample of the entire relevant population. It is impossible for us to attribute any opinions to, or take any guidance from, people who did not comment.

> Yes, it is hard to quantify the reactions. An other observation is that 41

A roughly 3/1 ratio between participants and comments is actually pretty good unless you expect every single person to comment individually. Many participants in the CWG are grouped under larger stakeholder categories that did comment; e.g., US CIB, ALAC, NCSG , IPC, ISPC, Registry and Registrar constituency, etc. (I should note that I counted the position of registry and registrars twice, because they are two distinct stakeholder groups that filed joint comments. I don't think groups that file joint comments should be penalized in this kind of accounting because they coalesced with other groups.)

Bottom line: we shouldn't fetishize percentages but we do need to discern where various stakeholders stand and what kind of things seem to command some level of agreement and what things don't.