[CWG-Stewardship] Initial DT-N Response to Major Comment Areas

CW Lists lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sat May 30 18:20:52 UTC 2015

Good evening:

Since Eric and Baudouin ask, may I have a go at this:

>  criteria listed in order of priority ...

1.	Accountability to the overall community
2.	 Geographic representation

3.	 Stakeholder representation
4.	Skill set and expertise
5.	Limited size of Board

Comments:

I rate Skill Set and Expertise in the PTI Board itself, low, because the essential skills must in any event be in the IANA staff, as they are at present, we are assured.
The Director of IANA should be a non-voting member of the PTI Board

I rate accountability and geographic representation high, reflecting ICANN's accumulated experience in this respect over the past 17 years.
For the PTI, I do not rate stakeholder representation very high (which stakeholders?) because the Registries (both types) would apparently have a privileged role in the CSC, which is enough for operational purposes.

What is quite clear is that a 'de minimis' technical PTI Board for an 'Internal' IANA would be absolutely incompatible with an eventually 'separated' IANA, for in the latter case the Full Monty of ICANN style multistakeholder accountability would be required.

However, as I have said before, I am not convinced that we need a PTI Board atall for the internal solution. The accountability issues within ICANN must be resolved, but once, not twice.

Regards

CW