[CWG-Stewardship] FW: CWG-Stewardship role in implementation

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Mon Nov 16 15:13:56 UTC 2015

FYI below, per the action item from the call on 5 November.

From:  Grace Abuhamad <grace.abuhamad at icann.org>
Date:  Monday, November 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM
To:  Patrik Fältström <paf at netnod.se>, Alan Greenberg
<alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>, "Thomas.Schneider at bakom.admin.ch"
<thomas.schneider at bakom.admin.ch>, Byron Holland <byron.holland at cira.ca>,
Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
Cc:  Jonathan Robinson <jrobinson at afilias.info>, Lise Fuhr
<lise.fuhr at difo.dk>, Alissa Cooper <alissa at cooperw.in>, Mohamed El Bashir
<mbashir at mbash.net>, Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic.ad.jp>, Nurani Nimpuno
<nurani at netnod.se>, Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr>, Thomas Rickert
<thomas at rickert.net>, León Felipe Sánchez Ambía <leonfelipe at sanchez.mx>,
Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca>, Leslie Daigle
<ldaigle at thinkingcat.com>, Akram Atallah <akram.atallah at icann.org>, Trang
Nguyen <trang.nguyen at icann.org>, Yuko Green <yuko.green at icann.org>, Theresa
Swinehart <theresa.swinehart at icann.org>, Bart Boswinkel
<bart.boswinkel at icann.org>, Heidi Ullrich <Heidi.Ullrich at icann.org>, David
Olive <david.olive at icann.org>, Marika Konings <marika.konings at icann.org>,
Olof Nordling <olof.nordling at icann.org>
Subject:  CWG-Stewardship role in implementation

To: ALAC, CCNSO, GAC, GNSO, SSAC
Cc: CWG-Stewardship, ICG, CRISP, IANAPLAN, CCWG-Accountability, ICANN
Implementation & ICANN Policy Staff.

Dear Chartering Organizations of the CWG IANA Stewardship,

At ICANN54 in Dublin, the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG)
confirmed designation of the operational communities to be responsible for
direct implementation oversight of their proposals.

The CWG-Stewardship also met during the course of ICANN54 and discussed this
role and we continued this discussion in a subsequent meeting on Thursday 5
November 2015. An oversight role is not specifically detailed in our
Charter, but it is the CWG-Stewardship¹s view that our role in
implementation is to ensure that the implementation is consistent with the
CWG-Stewardship Final Proposal and furthermore, to provide input on the
implementation work when required by staff working on the implementation or,
if and when necessary, to bring the implementation work back in line with
the intent of the Final Proposal.

In our view, the most logical option is to have the CWG-Stewardship working
group continue in its current form and with the responsibility to monitor
the implementation and provide input where needed. Of course, this
responsibility would include regular updates to the Chartering Organizations
via the appointed members as well as consultations with the Chartering
Organizations should issues be identified that are deemed without this
specific remit.

We note here for your information, that while the CWG-Stewardship Final
Proposal was submitted in June 2015, the CWG-Stewardship has remained active
and therefore available when needed. This has included being available to
answer questions from the ICG, or to monitor the CCWG-Accountability
dependencies and to coordinate with the other operational communities on
shared issues such as IANA intellectual property rights.

As the CWG-Stewardship Charter does not specifically address implementation,
we would like to ensure that the CWG-Stewardship¹s proposed approach in
relation to implementation is not inconsistent with the intent of the
Chartering Organizations concerning the scope and role of the
CWG-Stewardship. We therefore propose to proceed to oversee the
implementation work as described above unless there are objections from one
or more Chartering Organizations.

We would like to emphasize that the CWG-Stewardship does not intend to
change its working methods in light of this ongoing role. The group will
remain open to anyone who wishes to join, and we will welcome informed
individuals with relevant implementation and operational experience to join
the CWG-Stewardship in this next phase.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter and for your ongoing support
of our work. Please let us know of any concerns by no later than 30 November
2015.

Jonathan Robinson & Lise Fuhr
CWG-Stewardship co-Chairs