[CWG-Stewardship] Wrap up from Bylaws call

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Mon Apr 4 21:38:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Our call ended a bit abruptly due to a technical issue with the phone line. Lise has asked me to send a recap note with documents.

Recap of CWG-Stewardship Bylaws Review  - 4 April  2016 @ 18:00 UTC

We have 9 days left to review the draft Bylaws in keeping with the overall timeline for the transition. Sharon Flanagan from Sidley provided a thorough overview of the areas of interest to the CWG bylaws to focus on (PTI, CSC, IFR), and the outstanding issues for clarification. She noted that escalation processes will be included in PTI-ICANN contract, and that the CSC Charter is a separate document per the CWG-Stewardship prior request.

Following the presentation from Sharon, Lise asked for the three key DT leads (Donna for CSC, Chuck for Budget and Escalation; Avri for Reviews and Separation Process) to take the charge on responding to the issues for clarification list and reading through the relevant sections of the draft bylaws text. A proposed set of responses is to be provided to the CWG-Stewardship via the mailing list no later than Friday 8 April. In the meantime, all are welcome (and encouraged) to review and provide responses on the mailing list.

There were some questions about PTI funding and budget. These will be addressed by DT-O on their calls this Tuesday and Thursday.

More documents!

The draft bylaws were released for 10-day community review on Sunday 3 April. Along with the bylaws draft, there was a document with a list of questions and clarifications to address. These documents are attached in PDF and Word formats and named:
“Draft New ICANN Bylaws”
"Issues for Bylaws Coordination Group”
Since the release of these documents, the legal teams have provided redline comparisons of the old vs. new bylaws. Sharon provided a CWG-specific one to share with the group. These documents are:
"Redline – April 2 Draft Bylaws compared to Current Bylaws”
"CWG Bylaws Redline”
To assist the DT-leads with their response drafting, I have prepared a template similar to the one we used in the first review of the bylaws (Nov 2015 – March 2016). This is the bare-bones version to kick-start the work. We can fill out more of the table as responses come in.
More calls!

In addition to the CWG-Stewardship-specific calls, if you are interested in the CCWG-Accountability bylaws, please join the CCWG-Accountability’s calls. The adobe room for the CCWG-Accountability calls is open to observers: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/accountability/. The calls are scheduled for:
5 April at 19:00 UTC
7 April at 12:00 UTC
Finally, we expect that Jonathan will be available to lead a 2nd CWG-Stewardship Bylaws Review call on Monday 11 April from 15:00 – 16:30 UTC. Once we confirm his availability, we will confirm the call and send calendar invitations out.

This is important work!

This is the final stretch. The CWG-Stewardship has been active for 547 days, and has made lots of impactful decisions on the future of the IANA Stewardship. The next few days are the ones where you can play a role the engraining those decisions. It’s a unique opportunity. Let’s do this!

— Grace

--
Grace Abuhamad
Manager, Public Policy

ICANN | Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
801 17th Street NW, Suite 400 | Washington, DC 20006

Direct: +1 202 249 7545 | Mobile: +1 310 200 7638

Interested in the IANA Stewardship Transition?
LEARN MORE. STAY UPDATED. FOLLOW. ENGAGE.