[CWG-Stewardship] Wrap up from Bylaws call

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.uk
Sat Apr 9 22:38:02 UTC 2016

Hi Avri,

13:  I must admit I have always seen "consumers of the IANA naming functions (as distinct from the ICANN community at large) as specifically the registry operators.  This is an important distinction - the SOW is heavily focussed on the needs of the direct customers and is a technical performance document.  Yes, there might be an impact on the customers of the registries and on end users, but that is the chain of accountability, isn't it?

There was also some more recent discussion about decisions made affecting the IANA functions operation - again my memory was that, while the wider community would be consulted, changes would not be implemented in face of opposition from the direct customers.

16:  Did I miss something on this?  I thought that the initiation of the Special IFR was quite clearly defined in paragraph 303 of the CWG-Stewardship proposal.  And paragraph 304 proposes that the requirement to conduct and facilitate the periodic and special IANA Functions Review would be articulated in the ICANN Bylaws...

I would have no problems about the ccNSO and GNSO going through some form of escalation process with the wider community, should they consider this appropriate, but the thing about the Special IFR is that it is looking at addressing failures in delivery of a vital service.  It certainly seems to me that there is a fundamental difference here between the Special and Periodic Reviews.

20:  I agree with the response.  In the case where an RfP becomes necessary, having some experience in managing such processes is probably helpful.  But the underlying point is that this is essentially a technically focussed role:  it is more important that the members of the SCWG understand the issues of delivering the IANA functions operation and the needs of the direct customers than the mechanics of running an RfP:  if that is required, couldn't this be met through co-opting people with the necessary expertise?

22:  Paragraph 399 requires that an ICANN Board decision not to approve be for SCWG recommendations approved by supermajority of the ccNSO and GNSO Councils.  This would seem to be logical given the direct impact on registries - it is all about delivery of the service and conformity with agreed policy.  It would also be in line with discussions about having agreement from registries for material changes.

As others have said, a CWG (of which the SCWG is one) works by consensus:  why should the SCWG be an exception?

Martin