[CWG-Stewardship] Confirming the agenda for Thursday & Update on CCWG-Accountability

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Wed Feb 3 22:35:11 UTC 2016

Dear all,

We are confirming the agenda for tomorrow¹s call with no change. Here below
is a copy of what was sent on Monday:

CWG-Stewardship Agenda:
1. Opening Remarks

2. Implementation Update

3. IANA IPR

4. CCWG-Accountability

5. ICANN Bylaws relating to CWG-Stewardship

6. AOB

7. Closing Remarks

Update on CCWG-Accountability
The CCWG-Accountability call on Tuesday went well for the CWG-Stewardship
requirements. I¹ve provided some notes on the outcome below:
* Agreement to move forward with IANA budget text (edited by Chuck and
Jordan ‹ attached).
* Agreement to move forward with a combination of solutions to address the
IRP scope issue with PTI: include general provision regarding ICANN¹s
obligation to cause the PTI to fulfill its obligations (the failure to do so
would give rise to a standard IRP) and text to address SLA failures, etc.
with an operational (rather than constitutional) standard of review.

I will forward the documents to the CWG-Stewardship as soon as they are
ready. The tracker is updated and attached to this email as well.
A note on process
Please note that the budget and the IRP documents are still undergoing
revisions, so we will need to turn back to them later this week for the
final text. The process is the CCWG-Accountability includes agreement,
circulation of revised text to the group, and circulation of revised text to
the lawyers. Once the lawyers have reviewed the text, the CCWG receives
another version for 48h comment. If there are no comments, then this version
is considered final. If there are comments on the lawyers¹ review, then the
document goes through another round of edits between CCWG and lawyers. To
date, no document has received comments after the lawyers¹ review.

Latest CCWG-Accountability Blog Update
Original posting:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-cc
wg-accountability-co-chairs

Leading into Marrakech: An Update from the CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs
 <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-
ccwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-c
cwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-c
cwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-c
cwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-c
cwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/leading-into-marrakech-an-update-from-the-c
cwg-accountability-co-chairs#>
The Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN¹s Accountability
(CCWG-Accountability) has ushered in 2016 with a full schedule and renewed
dedication to its mission.
Following the release of the staff report
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/report-comments-draft-ccwg-acco
untability-proposal-08jan16-en.pdf>  and the summary of public comments
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/summary-comments-draft-ccwg-acc
ountability-proposal-08jan16-en.xlsx> , both of which were published on 8
January, the group wasted no time in setting up a rigorous schedule of
conference calls for the rest of the month.
The schedule was designed to enable inclusive and informed debates about the
input received during the 21-day public comment period and the feedback
provided by the six Chartering Organizations of CCWG-Accountability.
The dedication of our members and participants, along with the increased
involvement by members of the ICANN Board, has allowed us to make
significant progress over the past four weeks. The collaborative environment
has brought us even closer to our goal of a consensus proposal that will
meet the requirements of the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA) and fulfill the dependencies of the CWG-Stewardship in
the ICG Final Proposal.
Here is the current status of each CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 1
Recommendations:
Recommendation #1: Establishing an Empowered Community for Enforcing
Community PowersFinalized.
Recommendation #2: Empowering the Community Through Consensus: Engagement,
Escalation, EnforcementFinal comments by CCWG-Accountability. Expect final
by February 5th.
Recommendation #3: Redefining ICANN¹s Bylaws as ŒStandard Bylaws¹ and
ŒFundamental BylawsFinalized.
Recommendation #4: Ensuring Community Engagement in ICANN Decision-making:
Seven New Community PowersEdits to reflect input on PTI budget
(CWG-Stewardship) and indemnification language for removal of Directors by
the Empowered Community.
Recommendation #5: Changing Aspects ofICANN¹s Mission, Commitments and Core
ValuesStill under discussion by the CCWG-Accountability.
Recommendation #6: Reaffirming ICANN¹s Commitment to Respect Internationally
Recognized Human Rights as it Carries Out its MissionFinal comments by
CCWG-Accountability. Expect final by February 5th.
Recommendation #7: Strengthening ICANN¹s Independent Review ProcessEdits to
reflect input on applicability to PTI.
Recommendation #8: Improving ICANN¹s Request for Reconsideration
ProcessFinal comments by CCWG-Accountability. Expect final by February 5th.
Recommendation #9: Incorporating the Affirmation of Commitments in ICANN¹s
BylawsStill under discussion by the CCWG-Accountability.
Recommendation #10: Incorporating the Affirmation of Commitments in ICANN¹s
BylawsFinal draft to be reviewed by lawyers before final comments by
CCWG-Accountability. Expect final by February 5th.
Recommendation #11: Board Obligations with regards to Governmental Advisory
CommitteeAdvice (Stress Test 18)Still under discussion by the
CCWG-Accountability.
Recommendation #12: Committing to Further Accountability Work in Work Stream
2Finalized.
For the latest versions of all of the recommendations above, visit the
CCWG-Accountability wiki <https://community.icann.org/x/8JVlAw> .
After consensus has been reached on our few outstanding issues, the
CCWG-Accountability will develop a ³supplemental² report of the Work Stream
1 Recommendations, including a summary of changes from the Third Draft
Report.
The supplemental report is currently being developed, and will go through an
open and transparent process
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/accountability-cross-community/attachments/20
160120/0e76810a/Timelineandnextsteps-0001.pdf>  of 1) CCWG-Accountability
consultation, 2) support staff editing/proofing, 3) co-Chair and Rapporteur
finalization, 4) legal review and 5) final publication. Our hope is that the
majority of changes from the Third Draft Report will relate to specificities
of implementation rather than content, and as such, an additional public
comment period will not be necessary before approval by the Chartering
Organizations.
Our goal is to distribute the supplemental report to our Chartering
Organizations in time for consideration and approval on all Work Stream 1
Recommendations at ICANN55 in Marrakech.Keeping in mind the working methods
for the various Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, we ask
that this be into account as the Chartering Organizations plan their
discussions and schedules leading into and during ICANN55. With that said,
we encourage any Chartering Organizations that can deliberate and/or approve
the Work Stream 1 Recommendations prior to Marrakech to do so.
We are grateful for the increased involvement of the ICANN Board as our work
has progressed since the Third Draft Report. It has been helpful to
understand Board comments in real-time, including ways to ensure any global
public interest concerns are debated and considered as the recommendations
are being revised. We hope to continue this open dialogue as the
supplemental report is finalized, and ask the ICANN Board to be mindful of
the timeline as they plan their review period of the Work Stream 1
Recommendations and submission to NTIA.

CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs
Mathieu Weill, Thomas Rickert, León Sanchez